Feb 9, 2012

Abi


I have but one candle of life to burn, and I would rather burn it out in a land filled with darkness than in a land flooded with light          
-- John Keith Falconer

I first meet Abi when she came into the office for her placement test.  I remember her for two reasons, one she had the biggest smile on her face and two she lives in my neighborhood.  Her "village" is down the street from where I buy my groceries.  From the very first day of class I was drawn to Abi.  She is in her 30's and has two sons.  She is divorced, which in her culture is shameful.  It wasn't until I was visiting her in her home that she shared with me about her divorce and how hard it has been for her.

When I visit in her home I find a table full of fruit, cake, candy and sweets.  It is customary to serve many snacks to your guests and she did just that.  She usually has tea and coffee as well.  As it happens with most visits we begin with small talk, but it isn't long before we began to speak about our faith.  Abi is always very patient with me as I share what I believe in part Bahraini Arabic, part Syrian Arabic, and part English.  We have a good time trying figure out what each other is saying.  I believe I have found a good friend in Abi and pray that we will continue to meet together.  
Abi with her two sons, Ali and Husain
Today as you go about your life, remember Abi.  Remember her and pray.  Pray for her and her family.  Pray that I will have more opportunities to share truth with her.  Pray that Abi will not only seek God, but find him.  Pray for me as I spend time with Abi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your new friend.
Judy

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for Abi too!