Jul 7, 2008

When You Don't Know Anyone

I'm all settled into my new apartment and I'm feeling pretty good. The cabinets are fully stocked, the satelite's hooked up, and they just delivered my snazzy new furniture. In fact, I'm sitting on my new sofa right now, watching CSI. It's Monday night and I am alone. But before I started speed-eating Oreos, I realized it's not as tough as I think to meet people in my new neighborhood. After all, Mary Tyler Moore met Rhoda, right? With a little personality and bit of perseverance, I too can have a few wacky neighbor friends to call my own.

I want to meet new people, but I can't just go up and talk to them! Or can I? How do you meet people "without being weird"? Here are a few things I've learned over the last several years. I hope they work here too.

1. Stop limiting yourself! If you go into the situation thinking people will reject your attempt at striking up conversation, you will ultimately be unapproachable. Most people are generally friendly, and everyone enjoys making new friends.

2. Be interesting. If you aren't interesting, work on it.

3. Use what local language you can. If you don't know much, that's ok. They will be impressed that you tried to talk to them in their heart language.

4. Be patient. Realize it may take some time.

I don't know anyone yet. But my prayer is that with a little time, a lot of prayer and a lot of effort I will have some Bahraini friends soon.

2 comments:

oquindle said...

good info

Donna Smith said...

Melissa, the problem isn't getting to know you- it's holding onto you! :) Do they have any beauty shops you can go sit one on one with someone for a while?

luv yuh