There are a few basic principles that should guide you when driving in the Middle East.
1. If you drive faster you spend less time on the road and therefore you are less vulnerable to road accidents. Middle Eastern drivers often abide by this principle so tightly that they frequently ignore other important principles such as slowing down in tight curves, stopping before someone gets out of the car, using the brakes when they're needed, etc.
2. When approaching a "blind" four-way intersection (i.e. one where you can't see whether any cars are coming or not), do not, under any circumstances, stop, regardless of any signs to the contrary. Simply flash your lights and honk your horn to "claim" the right to go through the intersection. Under no circumstances should you slow down, and it is preferred to speed up. Similarly, if approaching an intersection and you hear someone honking; honk back and indulge in a game of blind chicken.
3. Numbers in circles by the side of the road are minimum speeds.
4. Only wimps turn left from the left lane. If you are a bus driver, feel free to swerve your bus through five lanes of traffic to get to the off-ramp.
Driving in the Middle East is an interesting experience. I have always considered myself a sensible person. You know… responsible, do the right thing, cautious. This week I learned something new about myself. This week I drove in the Middle East for the first time. This week I let my inner race car driver out…. and it was fun.
1 comment:
Melissa,
I could hear how you said "it was fun" in my head, the way I know you said it :)
I didn't think driving could get any worse than in FL! You should feel right at home :)
I never received an email that you updated your blog even though I'm signed up to...
Love ya lots,
Donna
Post a Comment