May 4, 2012

Four Friends and A Funeral

"Those who do not weep do not see."  ~  Les Misérables

In February I told you about my sweet students Zara and Sharon.  Last week Zara's grandmother died.  If one of my friends in the States was going through a family death I would know exactly what to do.  In America I understand the "rules" or customs.  But here....I have never been to a funeral in the Gulf and wasn't sure what to do, what to say, or how to act.



My dear friend Carie and I decided to go on the funeral visit together figuring there was safety in numbers.  Neither of us really knew the "rules" but sometimes it easier to look like a dork with a friend then by yourself.  So dressing in our most conservative Abayas, traditional dress for women, Carie and I went on our first death visit.


Sharon meet us in the village and walked with us to Zara's grandmother's house.  Carie asked Sharon what we should say when we greet the family and she told us to say, "adam Allah, ajurrrech" (I think).  Which Carie and I practiced all the way to the house.  When we got there we were greeted by Zara and some of her sisters and Aunts.  I attempted to repeat the appropriate phrase I had just learned, but fear I failed miserably.  We removed our shoes and entered the small sitting room, or majless.  Not knowing what to say neither of us said much, but let Zara and Sharon lead the little bits conversation.  


While we were there one of Zara's grandmother's friends came, as well as several other women.  They spoke of Zara's grandmother, life, death, and friendship.  After accepting coffee and several long stretched of uncomfortable silence Carie and I told Zara that we had to go and made our exit.  Sharon walked us back to the car and we said our good-byes.  


It was strange to visit someone knowing that they don't mourn with the same hope I do.  That they have no hope of seeing their loved one again.  It was sad in a way my grandfather's funeral wasn't.  Sad because this precious woman died and never knew the truth.  And I wonder how many others will follow.  Please pray for this sweet family.  That God will open their eyes and they will see the truth.  Pray that no one else will have to die with out salvation.

No comments: