Jun 5, 2012

Walking in Someone Else's Abyia

"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes."    ~ Unknown


The old saying goes that one can’t really begin to understand what difficulties a man or woman is going through until one walks a mile  in his or her shoes.  That "stroll" took place for me on Sunday, June 3rd.

My friend Abi called and asked if I would come for a visit.  I was excited and ready to see her.  The last time we were together we discussed many "important" thing and I left her with questions she need to answer.  Abi, although divorced and living with her parents, is a very strong Muslim and her willingness to discuss these things with me is not what you would expect.  


When I got to Abi's house I quickly learned that we were going to the Matam (a place for small, informal religious gatherings) for a Mauled (a religious celebration) for Imam Ali.  Ali was the cousin and son-in-law of Muhammad and ruled the Rashidun Empire for 656 to 661.  Due to sectarian differences in Islam, he is known as the fourth caliph by Sunni Muslims and the first imam by the Shi'a Muslims.  To pay tribute to Ali's special role in the Shi'a succession, followers have always honored the anniversary of his birth.


But.... I wasn't prepared to go the Matam, and had not worn my Abyia and head scarf for the visit.  Abi said that was fine, I could wear her mother's.  So there I was walking through the street of Abi's village wearing a borrowed abyia and head scarf on my way to the Matam.  As I walked with her I thought about what her life is really like.  This time it wasn't in a curious, I want to know the culture way.  As I thought about her life I realized how difficult it is to be a divorced Muslim woman.  The shame she walks around with everyday and her overwhelming desire to do good works for God to make up for the shame.  And my heart was broken all over again.  Broken for the people here and mostly broken for this sweet woman who had given me her mother's abiya.  


Later we talked about the Mauled and what went on there.  We shared food and laughed.  Abi asked questions: questions about the disciples, questions about Catholic vs. Baptist, questions about the New Testament.  And I did the best I could to let God answer those questions and share what I know to be true with her.  Abi is seeking something to take away her shame.  Pray with me that she will find it.


It was a good day, even if I was wearing another woman's abiya and I smelt funny.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I love hearing your heart for Abi!

Anonymous said...

I thank Dad for placing you in Abi's life to be able to share with her and love on her. I can relate in many ways to what you have shared today from the people I work with here.