Aug 25, 2008

Culture, Tradition, and Dance

While we were at the Salalah festival we experieced different cultural traditions. Here is a video I took at one of the exhibitions.

In the Dhofar region of Oman, the Bar'aa is performed as a celebration of youth by two dancers, each holding a dagger in his right hand and his shal, fixed at the waist, in his left hand. The characteristic movement of the Bar'aa is a powerful one-footed leap into the air. The two dancers move in a synchronised series of steps, advancing and retreating while they both make full circles. At a particular moment, both dancers bow down before the musicians to allow the soloists to come forward and sing.

2 comments:

Dangdut said...

Your blog is supercool! I like the photos and videos. I would try to watch them if it would take less than 200 hours to download the thing on my computer. The Gulf sounds like a fun place. I will have to try to visit sometime.

Kacamata said...

I remember watching those dances. I miss the Gulf. BTW, I have a blog now but I just haven't put anything on it. :)