The end of August marks not only the beginning of Fall, but a new year in my life. I have always loved my birthday. It is not only a time to remember what you have done, but a time to look forward to a new year. It is the one day where you are celebrated for nothing other than being you.
Being here and away from family means that you have to build relationships that become family. Friends and co-workers aren't just friends and co-workers, they are sisters, brothers, nieces and nephews.
This year I thought my birthday would be simple or not at all. People were traveling, work was busy, and I would spend the day alone. But I was wrong. My sweet friends planned a surprise party a few days before my birthday. I was so surprised and I felt so loved.
They even had a lady from the village come and do henna for all of us.
I was a beautiful night with fun and laughter. Most of all it was spent with true friends...sisters.
This year was a hard birthday for me. I can admit that I had a difficult time turning older and I spent a lot of time reflecting on my life, the mistakes and the triumphs. Here are some things I learned.
I regret nothing. I have learned lessons hard and painful. I have put those lessons to use. I stand my ground. I fight for the underdog. I listen to the "story" behind the story. I can tell what a person is like 5 minutes into a conversation.
I learned that a sister by choice will love you as much as a sister by birth. A family is not blood, but the bonds that make you special to each other. "I love you" should never be said unless you mean it, and you should mean it often. To always say what you mean and never change your mind to make someone else happy. Live without regret, for every painful experience gives you a lesson and the only way to grow old and wise is to be young and stupid.

.jpg)


1 comment:
Yay for birthdays!! We love you Mel and are blessed to have you here with us!
Post a Comment