A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.
— Bernard Meltzer
Do you ever forget how strange your life is? Or how different it is from other peoples? My sweet friend Debbie came to visit me for the holidays and reminded me of all the gifts I have here. Things I have started taking for granted. I saw my island through new eyes, through eyes I used to have.
I meet Debbie several years ago when I was living in Syria. She, like me, can not seem to stay home and has lived in several countries. Recently Debbie has been working with an aid organization in Yemen. As you can imagine her life is somewhat stressful. So when she emailed and asked if she could visit for the holidays I didn't hesitate opening my doors and giving her a soft place to sleep.
I picked her up at the airport and it wasn't long before I realized that I no longer see the island the way I did when I first got here. She was so excited that we had traffic lights and people generally stayed in their lane, she was practically giddy. I took her to American Row, or a strip with a lot of restaurants on it, and I thought she was going to hyperventilate. So many things that I take for granted were exciting to her.
In Yemen Debbie only has electricity for 2 to 4 hours a day, sometimes in the middle of the night. She sleeps on a rock hard mattress and has little furniture in her apartment. There are only a few places she can go out to eat at and those are expressive. Most of all she doesn't really have like minded people to worship with or fellowship with. Well I fixed that.
While she was visiting Debbie was continually amazed that we had electricity and hot water whenever we wanted. She got to spend hours talking with her family. And we explored the country.
It was such a blessing to have here here for the holidays. Not only so that I could give Debbie a little relief from the stress of Yemen, but for me too. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the darkness here and the lostness. I often feel like it's impossible. I forget the blessings God has given me by sending me to this beautiful island.
I want to thank my sweet friend for reminding me to be thankful for electricity and hot water.

4 comments:
What great wisdom has been shared here as I can relate to Debbie. I remember last year I was amazed by the American restaurants, traffic lights, spacious roads, nice shopping places, hot shower with good water pressure, and actual fun things I could do in which i really have hardly anything here. When I came back I have been reminded to be thankful for all those things I use to take for granted.I am thankful for the provisions I have to be able to get away to places like this from time to time.
This is a good reminder we all have challenges no mater where we serve but for some it is tougher than other so I am glad she has a friend like you that will open your home up for her when she needs to get away!
It was fun to have Debbie here on the island...I too take most of those things for granted! But I am so thankful for them and know that we are truly blessed!
Great post, Mel! We really are blessed here on the Island! :)
FUN! You have a fun blog! Awesome :)
Post a Comment